To make coffee cake recipe with lemon flavor is easy and also quick.Do you know what is coffee cake anyway? According to Wikipedia,coffee cake is a cake, often sponge cake, a class of cakes intended to be eaten alongside coffee (for example, as part of a breakfast meal) or that may be eaten during a “coffee break” or offered to guests as a gesture of hospitality on or around a coffee table. Under this definition, a coffee cake does not necessarily contain coffee. They are typically single layer cakes that may be square or rectangular like a Stollen or loaf-shaped rectangular cakes, or they may be ring shaped.Coffee cakes may be flavored with cinnamon or other spices, seeds, nuts and fruits. These cakes sometimes have a crumbly or crumb topping called streusel and/or a light glaze drizzle. Some similarity to teacakes may be found, though teacakes can be individually sized baked items served with tea.Layers of thinly sliced Meyer lemons lend a mellow complexity to this otherwise classic coffee cake. Thought to be a cross of a lemon and a mandarin, the fruit has an orange cast, a thin rind, and a heavily perfumed flesh that’s valued by chefs.Made this for Easter and the family loved it, along with a New York Style Crumb Cake.
Ingredients of coffee cake recipe with lemon flavor:
Ingredients For the Streusel:
- 6 ounces ( 3/4 cup) cold unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
Ingredients For the Cake:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons finely grated Meyer lemon zest (from 4 to 5 lemons)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 5 Meyer lemons, cut into paper-thin slices, ends discarded
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
Ingredients For the Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice
How to make coffee cake recipe with lemon flavor:
- Make the streusel: Blend together flour,salt and brown sugar. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut butter into the flour mixture until small to medium clumps form. Cover, and refrigerate until ready to use (up to 3 days).
- Make the cake: Cook lemon slices in a medium saucepan of simmering water for 1 minute. Drain, and repeat. Arrange lemon slices in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch angel food cake pan. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat butter, granulated sugar, and lemon zest with a mixer on medium speed in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. With the mixer running, add eggs, 1 at a time, then the vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with sour cream.
- Spoon 1/2 of the batter evenly into cake pan. Arrange 1/2 of the lemon slices in a single layer over the batter. Spread remaining batter evenly over the top. Cover with the remaining lemon slices in a single layer. Sprinkle the chilled streusel evenly over the batter.
- Bake until cake is golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack set over a baking sheet, and let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the pan, and remove outer ring. Let cool on rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the center tube. Slide 2 wide spatulas between the bottom of the cake and the pan, and lift cake to remove from the center tube. Let cool completely on rack.
- Make the glaze: Just before serving, stir together confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Drizzle over cooled cake, letting excess drip down the sides. Let glaze set before slicing, about 5 minutes.
So easy, isn’t it? Really delicious coffee cake recipe i’ve ever made. you have to try this recipes.You may also like other recipes: