I have made this red velvet cake recipe with frosting that consists of flour, milk, white sugar, butter, and vanilla. It is the best frosting in the world especially on this cake., it’s absolutely beautiful. But it’s also got a great flavor.To make red velvet cake recipe with cocoa powder is easy and also quick.You have to try this recipes.What is red velvet cake anyway? According to wikipedia A red velvet cake is a popular cake with a dark red, bright red or red-brown color. It is traditionally prepared as a layer cake topped with cream cheese icing. The reddish color is achieved by adding red food coloring.
Red velvet cake common ingredients include buttermilk, butter, flour, cocoa, and beetroot or red food coloring. The amount of cocoa used varies in different recipes. Cream cheese frosting and buttercream frosting are commonly used.
Ingredients of red velvet cake recipe:
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 oz. red food coloring
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
How to make red velvet cake recipe with cocoa powder:
- Sift cake flour once before measuring, then sift again with the other dry ingredients per recipe instructions. Wear an apron and be careful with the red food coloring–no matter how hard I try, I always end up staining something! As you’re mixing the cake batter, use a spatula to scrape down the bowl frequently throughout the entire process.
- Heat up oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans or three 8-inch round cake pans.
- Sieve together the baking powder,cake flour and salt into a medium bowl; set aside. In a small bowl, blend cocoa powder and food coloring to form a thin paste without lumps; set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about three minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in vanilla and the red cocoa paste, scraping down the bowl with a spatula as you go. Add one third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beat well, then beat in half of the buttermilk. Beat in another third of flour mixture, then second half of buttermilk. End with the last third of the flour mixture, beat until well combined, making sure to scrape down the bowl with a spatula.
- Take cake pans buttered, floured, and nearby. In a small bowl, blend vinegar and baking soda. Yes, it will fizz and add it to the cake batter and stir well to mix. Working quickly, divide batter evenly between the cake pans and place them in a preheated 350 degree oven. Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes. Check early, cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in their pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. To remove the cakes from the pan, put a wire rack on top of the cake pan and invert, then gently lift the pan. Allow cakes to cool completely before frosting.Frost with butter cream or cream cheese icing.
Ingredients of butter cream or cream cheese icing:
- pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (one stick), softened
- 16 oz. cream cheese (about 2 packages), softened
How to make butter cream or cream cheese icing:
With an electric mixer, mix together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Turn mixer to low speed and blend in powdered sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Turn mixer on high and beat until light and fluffy. Use immediately or refrigerate, covered, until ready to use. If refrigerated, the frosting will need to be brought to room temperature before using (after frosting softens up, beat with mixer until smooth). If you prefer a sweeter and/or stiffer frosting, more powdered sugar can be added (up to four cups). But remember, the more sugar you add, the less you’ll be able to taste the tangy cream cheeseYou may also like other recipes: