To make easy sausage casserole recipes with paprika and olive oil is easy and also quick.Lovely recipe, you should cook potatoes first. I had this casserole in the oven for 90 minutes and potatoes were still hard.Do you know what is casserole? According to Wikipedia, A casserole, from the French word for “saucepan”, is a large, deep dish used both in the oven and as a serving vessel. The word casserole is also used for the food cooked and served in such a vessel, with the cookware itself called a casserole dish or casserole pan. In British English, this type of dish is frequently also called a bake, coinciding with the cooking technique used to cook casseroles. In Minnesota, this type of dish is sometimes called hotdish.Casseroles usually consist of pieces of meat (such as chicken) or fish (such as tuna), various chopped vegetables, a starchy binder such as flour, potato or pasta, and, often, a crunchy or cheesy topping.Liquids are released from the meat and vegetables during cooking, and further liquid in the form of stock, wine, beer. gin, cider, or vegetable juice may be added when the dish is assembled. Casseroles are usually cooked slowly in the oven, often uncovered. They may be served as a main course or a side dish, and may be served in the vessel in which they were cooked.Types of casserole include ragout, hotpot, cassoulet, tajine, moussaka, lasagne, shepherd’s pie, gratin, rice or macaroni timballo, and carbonnade. A distinction can be made between casseroles and stews: stewing is a cooking process whereby heat is applied to the bottom of the cooking vessel (typically over a fire or on a stove), whereas casserole cooking is generally done in an oven to bake where heat circulates all around the cooking vessel. Casseroles may be cooked covered or uncovered, while braises are typically covered to prevent evaporation.
Ingredients of easy sausage casserole recipes
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 good-quality sausages from outdoor-reared pigs
- 4 carrots
- 4 large potatoes
How to make easy sausage casserole recipes:
- Turn the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Peel the potatoes and carefully cut them in half, then into quarters. Peel the carrots and cut each carrot into about 4 or 5 even pieces.
- Prick the sausages all over with a fork – this helps the fat to run out of the sausages, so that they don’t split open as they cook. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based casserole and fry the sausages, turning often, until lightly golden all over – this should take about 10 minutes. Remove the sausages from the pan and put them on a plate.
- Add the chopped onion to the casserole (there will still be some oil in the pan from the sausages) and continue to cook over a low heat for 5-10 minutes, until the onion is slightly soft. Add the garlic and paprika and cook for another minute.
- Add the chopped potatoes and carrots and stir everything around in the casserole so that the vegetables are coated with the oil.
- Add the tomatoes and stock (to measure the stock, you can use the empty tomato can – filled up, it will hold 400ml of stock) and the bay leaves. Bring to a simmer (so it’s just bubbling gently). Return the sausages to the casserole.
- Using your oven gloves, carefully put the casserole into the oven. Cook for 45 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked through, and serve.