Leek Tomato Easy Casserole is a great accompaniment to a summer meal. Leeks are layered with tomato slices and mozzarella cheese, and topped with herbs and crushed crackers.What is casserole anyway? According to Wikipedia, a casserole, from the French word for “saucepan”, is a large, deep dish used both in the oven and as a serving vessel. The word casserole is also used for the food cooked and served in such a vessel, with the cookware itself called a casserole dish or casserole pan. In British English, this type of dish is frequently also called a bake, coinciding with the cooking technique used to cook casseroles. In Minnesota, this type of dish is sometimes called “hotdish.”
Ingredients of Leek Tomato Easy Casserole:
- 8 leeks, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 pounds tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup crushed buttery round crackers
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
How to make Leek Tomato Easy Casserole :
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, mix crushed crackers, rosemary, thyme and sage.
- Place leeks in the bottom of a large baking dish. Layer with tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. Top with the crushed cracker mixture, and drizzle with melted butter
- Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.