Lots of you have requested cake recipes for a giant cupcake tin, so I thought I’d put them on the blog for you all to use. You can pretty much use any cake recipe but how much? I have to admit in the past I’ve just made a big old batch of cake mix, filled up the tin and then used the extra for cupcakes, so you don’t have to you’ll be pleased to hear I’ve worked out quantities for you.
Ingredients of Chocolate Giant Cupcake Recipe:
- 45ml (3 tbsps) vinegar (malt or white wine vinegar is fine)
- 300ml milk
- 90g cocoa powder
- 1 ahalf tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 280g plain flour
- 90g self-raising flour
- 4 eggs, large
- 410g caster sugar
- 225g butter, softened.
How to make Chocolate Giant Cupcake Recipe :
- First up prep your tin – a really important step in getting it out whole. Spray cake release is by far the easiest but greasing with butter will do just the same, just make sure you grease every nook and cranny.
- Place a circle of baking paper in the bottom of the base.
- Now on with the cake, preheat the oven to 140c (fan)/160c/Gas Mark 3. A longer gentler bake means that the cake doesn’t take on a hard thick crust.
- Measure the milk and vinegar into a jug, quick stir and then set it to one side.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until it’s nice and fluffy – no skimping on this stage please! If you don’t get enough volume into it now, you won’t have enough to fill your tin.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time making sure the mix goes light and fluffy again after each.
- Now you need to mix in all the dry ingredients and the milk/vinegar mix until it’s evenly incorporated.
- Time to fill up the tin.
- Fill the top first – and roughly level – fill it to about 2cm short of the rim.
- Now add the rest of the cake mix to the base section – this one will have slightly more space to the top of the rim but as it contains more mixture it’s got more oomph to rise. Roughly level them both with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 1hour 10mins – 1 hour 15 mins, check the centre of the base section with a skewer and bake until it comes out clean.
- Now out of the oven BUT DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT TURNING IT OUT NOW!
- Set a timer for 25 minutes and leave it for now.
- After 25 mins is up place your cooling rack on the top of the tin and turn them both over together.
- Give the rack and tin a firm tap on the worksurface and carefully lift away the tin.
- If you realise the cake hasn’t released as you go to lift away the tin give it another sharp tap until it does.
- Now leave to cool fully on the rack.