To make sambar tamil cuisine with yellow lentils is easy and also quick, we need only 15 minutes to cook this sambar recipes.Lightly spiced lentils in a tamarind and coconut sauce, tempered with Indian spices.You can serve hot with rice.If using potatoes, prick them raw, dice into bite size pieces and cook them in the tamarind (or tomato) juice. The tamarind pulp may be substituted with reconstituted tamarind paste. Okra is great in this recipe.
Ingredients of sambar tamil cuisine:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 cup yellow split peas (tuvar dal)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup tamarind pulp
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened flaked coconut
- 2 dried red chile peppers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon yellow lentils (chana dal)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
How to make sambar tamil cuisine:
- Put yellow split peas in a saucepan with 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until soft, about 15 minutes. In another saucepan, blend together the tamarind pulp stir in 1/2 cup water to make a watery juice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the tomato and bell pepper to the tamarind juice, and continue to boil until the vegetables are soft, and the liquid has reduced to almost half.
- Meanwhile, crush the coriander seeds, coconut,yellow lentils, and chilies to a paste using a mortar and pestle or food processor. Add this paste to the tamarind sauce, then stir in the yellow lentils until everything is well blended. Bring to a boil once again, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat, and add the cumin seed,mustard seed, and asafoetida powder. Once the mustard seeds start to sputter and the mixture is fragrant, remove from heat and stir into sambar. Serve hot.