Okra with bacon recipe is easy to make.Okra is simmered with tomatoes and chilies to perfection. You won’t believe it is okra when the aroma fills your house.The vinegar was a really nice trick! I made it,and it was really delicious and extremely healthy.Just good old-time home cooking
Ingredients of okra with bacon recipe:
- 5 roma (plum) tomatoes – peeled, seeded and chopped
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound fresh okra
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 green chile peppers, seeded and chopped
How to cook okra with bacon:
- Place the okra in a bowl with the vinegar, and soak 30 minutes. Drain, rinse, and cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, reserving drippings in skillet. Break bacon into large pieces, and set aside.
- Place the onion and green chile peppers in the skillet with the bacon drippings, and cook 3 minutes over medium heat. Mix in the tomatoes, and cook 1 minute. Mix in the okra, and return bacon to skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Pour in enough water to cover. Reduce heat to low, cover skillet, and simmer 40 minutes, or until okra is tender. Serve hot.