Morning Apple Butter Muffins Recipe contains apple butter, did you know about apple butter? Apple butter is a highly concentrated form of apple sauce, it is produced by long and slow cooking of apples with cider or water to a point where the sugar in the apples caramelizes, turning the apple butter a deep brown. The concentration of sugar gives apple butter a much longer shelf life as a preserve than apple sauce.
Ingredients of Morning Apple Butter Muffins Recipe:
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 apple – peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
How to make Morning Apple Butter Muffins
- Heat up oven to 190 degrees Celcius or about 375 degrees F . Lightly oil 18 muffin cups, or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, apple butter, egg whites, vanilla and oil.
- In a large bowl, stir together baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, flours,salt and baking soda. Stir in raisins, apples and carrots. Stir in apple butter mixture until just moistened. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full.
- In a small bowl, combine wheat germ and walnuts; sprinkle over the muffin tops.
- Bake at 190 degrees C or about 375 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly pressed.