This simple baked ziti with mozzarella cheese recipe is delicious and very hearty.This simple baked ziti is a great recipe that is customizable and also easy to make. You can use vegetarian crumbles to make it meat-free, and added a thawed/drained box of frozen spinach.
Ingredients of simple baked ziti with mozzarella cheese:
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound ziti pasta
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 6 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat sour cream
How to make simple baked ziti with mozzarella cheese:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (or about 175 degrees C). Lightly butter a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti pasta and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion and ground turkey until onion is translucent and turkey is no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Add spaghetti sauce and carrot; simmer until heated through, about 15 minutes. Layer ingredients into prepared baking dish as follows: half the ziti, Provolone cheese, sour cream, half the sauce mixture, remaining ziti, mozzarella cheese, and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven until cheeses are melted, about 30 minutes.