Do you know what is enchilada anyway? According to Wikipedia, An enchilada is a corn tortilla rolled around a filling and covered with a chili pepper sauce. Enchiladas can be filled with a variety of ingredients, including meat, cheese, beans, potatoes, vegetables, seafood or combinations.
Ingredients of Original homemade enchilada sauce:
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons hot chili powder
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 (1 ounce) square semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
How to make Original homemade enchilada sauce:
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high high heat. Saute onion until tender. Stir in garlic, oregano, cumin and cinnamon; saute for a few minutes.
- Stir in flour and chili powder, stirring until sauce thickens. Slowly whisk in chicken broth; reduce until sauce reaches desired consistency. Stir in chocolate until melted and well blended.