This fried calamari with black pepper is one of the best calamari recipes I’ve used. To cook fried calamari with black pepper is quick, easy and tender.The key to tenderness is not to overcook in the oil,even if it does’t look quite as golden brown as you like.
Ingredients of fried calamari with black pepper recipe:
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 squid, cleaned and sliced into rings
- 1 lemon – cut into wedges, for garnish
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
How to cook fried calamari with black pepper:
- Preheat oil in a heavy, deep frying pan or pot. Oil should be heated to 365 degrees F (or about 180 degrees C).
- In a medium size mixing bowl mix together flour, salt, oregano and black pepper. Dredge squid through flour and spice mixture.
- Place squid in oil for 2 to 3 minutes or until light brown. Beware of overcooking, squid will be tough if overcooked. Dry squid on paper towels. Serve with wedges of lemon.