Posted on : 05-07-2012 | By : admin | In : Vegetables
Orzo with Sauteed Kale flavors are delicious. Well balanced combination of the flavors, and I particularly liked the additions of nutmeg and lemon juice. The turmeric gives the orzo a brilliant yellow color which, in combination with the green kale. We absolutely loved this. The flavors are amazing. I added some halved cherry tomatoes right before serving.
Ingredients of Orzo with Sauteed Kale
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, or to taste
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
How to cook Orzo with Sauteed Kale:
- Bring a large pot of lightly-salted water to a boil; sprinkle the turmeric over the boiling water and stir in the orzo; return to a boil. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 11 minutes; drain. Scrape into a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the garlic in the hot oil for a few seconds until it begins to bubble. Stir the kale into the garlic, cover the skillet with a lid, and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the cover and continue cooking and stirring until the kale is tender, about 10 minutes more. Stir the kale mixture into the orzo along with the lemon juice, nutmeg, and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.